I finished this dress last weekend, and wore it to my parents’ 25th anniversary dinner at the Melting Pot (yum!)
The fabric is a sheet I picked up a few months ago at a thrift store and thought, “That should be a dress!” I used McCall’s 4444 view A, and had just enough fabric from the twin-sized sheet to cut it out.
There are two back shoulder straps, as well as the halter neck strap, which give the back of the dress some nice detail.
I used an invisible zipper at the back, bringing it to the top of the back band and eliminating the hook and eye. I also eliminated the buttons at the neck strap, opting to just sew the pieces together instead. You can see below that I finished the center back seam and the hem with bias tape. All other exposed seams are french seams.
I did have a little bit of trouble with this dress. It took me a couple of tries to figure out how the top band (including the neck and back straps) went together. The instructions were kind of confusing for this bit. Luckily, I managed to find enough suitable fabric left over to re-cut those pieces. Also, when I first got to the point where I could try it on (after inserting the zipper), I discovered that it didn’t lay flat against my back. I tried taking in some width in the back, but that didn’t solve the problem. I ended up basically doing a petite adjustment at the top of the skirt pieces. It still bunches up a little bit, as you can see in the second picture above, but at least it’s wearable now!
I have several more sewing projects lined up. I think a yellow/navy plaid skirt will be next.