It had been awhile since I’d made my Black Bean Brownies, so I decided it was time to pull out the recipe last week. These are a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth without being too unhealthy. Plus, the beans are great incentive to not eat the whole pan in one sitting 😉 Actually, they are more filling than normal brownies, so I tend to not want as many anyway.
You can’t taste the beans, although the texture is a little bean-like. Most people who have tasted these didn’t even know there were beans in them until I told them. However, because of the texture, if you don’t tell them, they might think you did something wrong (yes, this warning is from experience!)
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 eggs
- 3 T canola oil
- 1/3 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 2 t vanilla
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 t instant coffee powder
- 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Put all ingredients except chocolate chips into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 8- or 9-inch square pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan.