One of the Hancock’s near my house is going out of business (luckily there’s another one about the same distance in a different direction!) so I stopped by last week to grab a few things on sale. While I was there, I found this plaid wool blend for 75% off, which I couldn’t pass up. There was about a yard left, so just enough to squeeze a skirt out of for Christmas!
I was going to use the pattern I traced for my Ikat Skirt a few months ago, but when I pulled it out, I noticed that the waist curved the wrong way, and I wasn’t sure the alterations I made for the width of the skirt were going to work anyway, so after a quick google search, I used this tutorial to create a new pattern from my measurements. I made a muslin, which I will eventually be able to finish into a wearable skirt, and discovered it was a bit too wide, so I modified my pattern before cutting out the wool.
I matched the plaid at the side seams, and decided to experiment with using my normal zipper foot (rather than the invisible zipper foot) which resulted in my best (and easiest!) invisible zipper insertion yet! I also added a lining, and remembered this tutorial a bit too late to get crisp corners at the top of the zipper, although I did my best to modify it.
All in all, I think this may finally be my TNT (tried ‘n’ true) A-line skirt pattern! I’ll have a better idea after I wear it tomorrow for Christmas Eve (the pic was just a trial run for a few minutes so I could write this post) but at this point I’m very happy with how it turned out!
Wishing you a Merry Christmas!