I spent last Friday afternoon and evening working on this dress so I could wear it for Easter! The pattern is Simplicity 2703, view A, and if you’ve been reading this blog for awhile you probably guessed that the fabric is a thrifted sheet.
I fully lined the dress, instead of the facings the pattern calls for (why do patterns never seem to include linings?), and used the same fabric, since I had just the right amount left (it was a twin-sized sheet). I didn’t feel like re-drafting the lining from the facing, so I just cut out duplicates of the outside of the dress, and put in the pleats on the inside, too. I did add two extra pleats to the neckline, because it was too wide for me. I was planning on lengthening the dress, but forgot when I was cutting it out, so I ended up using a hem facing, which was probably better anyway, since I like wide hems.
This isn’t right side for you to see (well, actually it is the right side, ha) but I used an invisible zipper in the (left) side seam, and I was pretty proud of myself for figuring out how to insert it and attach it to the lining all by machine, since it starts about an inch down.
You can barely see the darts in the back. I think this was the first time I’ve ever sewn a two-pointed dart, and I ended up doing 8 of them since I lined the dress. That got a little tedious. But the shaping is nice!