I came across a microwave pumpkin pie-in-a-mug recipe a few weeks ago, and of course had to try it. I wasn’t at all happy with how it turned out, though, so I came up with my own recipe instead. After a few tweaks, it’s finally ready to share. Best of all, it’s gluten-free, vegan, and allergy-friendly! (Pictured with whipped cream, but of course sub whipped coconut cream or your other favorite option if you need to avoid dairy.)
And, just like the Microwave Pumpkin Pudding recipe I shared a couple of years ago, this is a great way to avoid attacking the big pie as soon as it comes out of the oven!
- 1/2 T flax seed
- 1 1/2 T warm water
- 1/2 c pumpkin puree
- 3 T sugar
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/8 t ginger
- pinch cloves
- pinch salt
- Combine flax seed and water in a microwave-safe ramekin or mug. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Microwave on high until a knife or toothpick comes out clean. Mine took about 4 minutes, but cooking times will vary depending on your microwave, so check it every minute or so. The top will look a bit drier than when you started, but it won’t look as set as a regular pie coming out of the oven, and it won’t be dry to the touch.
- Let it sit for a few minutes at room temperature, then refrigerate for a few hours, or put in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, until it’s chilled through.
- Serve with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream.