Spinach & Artichoke dip is probably my favorite appetizer. But the standard recipe includes lots of dairy, and sometimes flour, too, so I set out to make a version that I can enjoy with my limited diet.
It was actually easier than I anticipated, and I think it tastes just like the dip you get at a restaurant. I don’t even miss the copious amounts of cheese (which is saying something)! The only “specialty” ingredient is nutritional yeast, which you should be able to find in the spice aisle of your health food store.
- 1 33oz jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 2/3 c mayonnaise
- 1/2 T minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 T sugar
- pinch cayenne
- 1/2 t lemon juice
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1 t salt
- 2 T nutritional yeast (plus more for topping)
- 1 16oz bag frozen chopped spinach
- olive oil
- Combine 1/2 of the artichoke hearts with the mayo and spices in a blender, food processor, or bowl with an immersion blender, and blend until no large chunks remain. Stir in remaining artichoke hearts (breaking up any large chunks into bite-sized pieces) and spinach.
- Spread in a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle nutritional yeast over the top, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in a 375F oven for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve hot with veggies, chips or crackers of your choice.